Online casinos are getting more and more popular in this country. So you could assume that when it comes to gambling, the sky is the limit for South African players. Nevertheless, since 2010, the act of online casino gambling has been strictly prohibited in the country. This means players from this country can play in offshore casinos only. And this adds certain complications when it comes to payment systems available for gamblers.
The thing is, PayPal allows its gambling transactions only in countries where online casinos are legal. Unfortunately, South Africa is not included in this list at the moment. So here is the situation: you can gamble in SA with no problem, and you can make a PayPal deposit to the bank if needed. Nevertheless, these two things cannot be done together, which means depositing to a casino via PayPal is impossible. But as I said, it’s not the end of the world, and there is a solution.
So, now we know that you can’t make a direct money transaction to an online casino in SA via PayPal. I decided to find a buffer — a payment method that gamblers can use to make those gambling transactions possible. So far, I know three possible options. Let me show you all of them:
- Bitcoin. SA players can easily buy Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies to use for casino deposits. As for me, it’s one of the best options since no fees are taken when buying Bitcoin from your PayPal wallet.
- E-wallet like Neteller/Skrill. Another option is sending money from your PayPal account to Neteller or Skrill wallet since most of the online casinos open for SA gamblers allow using these methods for deposits and withdrawals. However, it is not the best option in terms of money management as you’ll be required to pay 5% of the amount transferred.
- Credit/debit cards. If you have already deposited some money from PayPal to a bank account, the optimal option for you might be using your debit or credit card for casino deposits as well. It is pretty fast and convenient, even though some fees are still applied. You need to pay 2.9% of the amount + $0.30 for every money transaction you make.
In most casinos available for South African gamblers, you also can make deposits with Neosurf and Paysafe. But the reason I did not mention them above is that there is no way to use PayPal to transfer the money to the mentioned systems.
If you haven’t chosen anything from my list of the best PayPal casinos, you certainly can look for one yourself using my 6-step guide. It will take more time, but if you are not in a hurry, why not?
6 steps to choose the best PayPal casino for South Africa:
So, to find the best PayPal casino for South African gamblers, you need to take 6 simple steps:
1. Check the casino’s safety and security
A good casino is a secure casino. Bright design, generous promises, and luring games are not the most important things when choosing a place to gamble. First of all, you should check whether the casino is properly licensed. Look for a UKGC, MGA or at least a Curacao logo before you make a deposit and start playing. To be completely sure that you are safe, find out whether the casino uses at least 128-bit SSL encryption which is meant to protect your private data and has fairness certificates from independent testing agencies such as eCOGRA or iTechLabs.
|South African PayPal casino||License|
|Schmitt’s||MGA + UKGC|
Sadly, not all the trustworthy and famous gaming sites are available for South African players, so checking whether the casino accepts users from where you are should be another vital step on your to-do list. Since all the websites on this page are proven to be suitable for SA gamblers, picking one out of my PayPal casino list is certainly the fastest and the easiest way to start making bets right away.
100% of online casinos in my top selection are safe and licensed. Casumo always goes the extra mile when it comes to the players’ security. It holds the MGA license and protects its users’ private data with SSL encryption.
2. Take a look at the payment options available
Have you found a suitable gaming site on my list? Since you can’t use PayPal for casino payments, you need to make sure there is a buffer method offered by the place where you are about to play. For instance, Bitcoin or Neteller. I’ll tell you about it in more detail a bit later. If you want to make money and withdraw it with no problem, remember to check whether that method can be used for withdrawals as well.
In ComeOn, South African players can choose among several convenient payment methods, including Skrill, Neteller, Mastercard and others.
3. Evaluate the game selection
There is nothing easier than getting bored in a casino with a too-small game variety. If online gambling is not just about money for you, make sure the place you’ve found has a lot of games to offer. Are there slots, live-dealer options and some titles with which you can hit the jackpot? Who is making them? Providers of casino games are something important to consider. Give your preference to places that have products by Microgaming, Playtech, Novomatic, etc. On top of that, in a decent casino, the number of games should be 2000+.
It’s significantly easier to look for certain titles with a search bar. So check whether such a feature is available. After you know that all these aspects meet your expectations, you can be sure that the PayPal casino 2021 you have found is worth your attention.
Betsafe is one of the best casinos in terms of game selection. Here you can find more than 2000 gambling games, including all kinds of slots, sports betting and lots of live-dealer games.
4. Make sure the welcome bonus is good
What should you do after you find a great welcome offer? Check whether it’s a really good bonus first. While practically all PayPal casinos offer some welcome gifts to the new users, many of them are not worth claiming. So before hitting the Claim button and trying to wager the bonus, spend a few minutes checking the Terms & Conditions page. Here’s what you need to pay your attention to:
- Wagering requirements. If WRs exceed 40x, you are not likely to enjoy this freebie.
- Validity time. You need to have at least 72 hours to use the bonus and meet the WR.
- Cashability. Some bonus money can be cashed out, while the others can only be spent on games.
In PayPal casinos, players can be awarded standard kinds of bonuses such as a welcome bonus, free spins, a no deposit bonus, etc. They are nothing special for experienced gamblers as the same offers can be found in any other gambling place. Nevertheless, some casinos give away special bonuses for those who use PayPal as a deposit option. The sad news is that since a direct PayPal deposit is not available for South African gamblers — it’s not something we can use, unfortunately.
Mr.Green welcomes all the new players with a 100% bonus and 100 free spins for the first deposit. Wagering requirements for both bonuses are 35x.
5. Try out the mobile version
Not all online casinos are good for playing on the go. Of course, having a convenient payment method available is important. But the convenience of playing on a smartphone or tablet matters as well. Plenty of PayPal online casinos claim to be mobile-compatible. But I’m not a person who trusts the words. I prefer testing mobile versions of the PayPal gambling sites myself. The main things I normally check are the mobile interface, intuitiveness, and availability of games and features.
When I’m in the mood for mobile PayPal betting in South Africa, I usually go to Wunderino since it combines all the features of a good gambling website and is 100% mobile-friendly at the same time.
6. Test the customer support
Playing in a casino is not rocket science, they say. What can be complicated about it? Why would I have any questions? From my experience, you don't care about support until you get in trouble because of some system error (which can happen even in the best casinos) and have none to help. So it’s better if you know that the place where you are playing has responsive and helpful support before you register there.
The first thing I suggest you do is to look for a live chat and ask casino agents a few questions (e.g. about your possible deposit/withdrawal options). Do they provide you with the same information you see on the casino website? Are the answers quick enough? As for me, if a casino can’t afford to hire professionals for CS, it can’t afford to pay out the wins and provide a decent level of safety as well. So, no reason to gamble there.
In BGO, you can contact customer support via online chat at any time and get an answer immediately.
- Log in to your account on the Paypal website
- Decide on the most convenient buffer payment method for you (choose from the ones listed above)
- Make a money transfer from your PayPal account to the payment system you selected
- Go to the casino where you are going to play
- Open the Cashier section and set the respective payment option as your deposit method
- Enter the amount of money you want to deposit and confirm the transaction
- Log in to your PayPal casino account
- Open the Cashier section and select the buffer payment method you would prefer for a withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to cash out and confirm the transaction
- Wait until the casino approves the withdrawal
- Make a money transfer from the payment system you chose to your PayPal account
PayPal deposit casinos
As you know, PayPal cannot be used in New Zealand for direct deposits and withdrawals. So instead of PayPal deposit casinos, I’ll show you a list of casinos with another payment method - Neteller. I believe this is one of the most convenient ways to build a connection between your PayPal account and casino of your choice.
If making all these money transfers seem to be too complicated for you (and I totally understand it), you can choose one of the PayPal alternatives to using for direct deposits and withdrawals:
|Payment system||Reasons to use it|
Conclusion to PayPal Casinos SA
PayPal might not be the most convenient payment method if you live in South Africa. Since direct PayPal deposits are not available for people from this country, you’ll need to take a few additional steps, which takes time and a certain effort.
However, PayPal deposits and withdrawals are not impossible for those who have read my guide. So if this is the payment method you believe to be the best for you — go for it and have fun at your perfect online casino PayPal. Just don’t forget that the key to successful gambling is playing in trustworthy online casinos, like those mentioned in my list.